We all know how to handle drives with bad modules or system files in the Service Area: fix them by writing good modules in place of bad ones. In the case of Western Digital drives, if the original modules contain physical bad sectors on their bodies, we move SA modules to a new area.
But what can you do to a Seagate F3 drive with a bad important system file Is it possible to move the file to another location? Let’s review that issue in this article.
As you may already know Flash recovery requires many more hardware resources than data recovery with PC-3000 Express or PC-3000 UDMA Systems. When you have to deal with HDDs, all complex operations are produced by the internal CPU on the drive’s PCB. But if you work with Flash devices, all the operations such as ECC correction, XOR decryption, page, and block splitting are applied within the PC-3000 Flash software.
Today we’re going to run some tests and show you the difference between various PCs configurations. In the end, the importance of having a good and stable PC configuration will become obvious. Also, do not hesitate to read our regularly updated article “The Best PC Configuration for the PC-3000 tools”.
Data Extractor utility is a very powerful and flexible tool for data recovery. It has a lot of cool settings that make the imaging process easy and customizable.
In this article, we would like to talk about every option in the Settings window.
If you don’t own the Data Extractor and want to get one, please contact us here.
Starting from the PC-3000 Flash 7.2.9 version, you’re able to use the automatic BadBytes cutting feature (Inserts, Addings, Bad Columns).
This new mode can help to significantly decrease the time of the manual BadBytes research and cutting. Please follow the link below to learn more on how to use this method in practice.
More about Bad Bytes are in our previous articles:
PC-3000 Flash. How to detect and eliminate addings (Inserts, Bad Columns) in dump
PС-3000 Flash. AU6989 and AU6998: XORed inserts
Very often when we work with different drives (especially with the AU controller and Sandisk) with a huge capacity (64gb and above), we are faced with a situation when the complete ECC correction and the readout process might take several hours.
PLEASE NOTE: We do not recommend you to use this method in all your further cases! Sometimes for getting a good result all blocks (even not filled at 100% with data) must be fixed! Otherwise, there might be a huge problem in the image building stage! We recommend using Reread Map Generator only for the most urgent cases when you don’t have enough time for good and complete ECC correction!
Apple Fusion drive is a logical (virtual) disk with a file system. In this article we will show you the process of data recovery from Apple Fusion Drive which is based on the building of these logical disk and file system.
Outlined below is a procedure of recovering data from Fusion Drive:
- Append both drives to the task;
- Run the Autodetection on metadata in RAID configuration mode;
- ‘SPECIAL — Apple CS Pool‘ should be detected, you have to create this array;
- Scan metadata on the created array, there the ‘Virtual Drive – MAP’ will be found;
- The Virtual Drive should have the HFS+ file system, and user data is stored in this file system.
Let’s take a closer look at these steps.
When we are speaking about SSD recovery we should remember the following things:
- PC-3000 SSD works only with ATA-based SSD. That means that right now such models as Samsung 960 Pro or Apple MacBook Pro Retina SSD’s are not supported, because they are based on miniPCI-E interface, and does not have SATA controller inside CPU.
- It possible to recover data from SSD only in case if SSD drive does not have any problems with hardware part – CPU, NAND memory chips and PCB should be in a good condition. Such drives should return some status on ATA registers when you send power supply. They might be in BSY, might return strange capacity or wrong ID and so on.
- PC-3000 SSD does not support SSD recovery only by controller. First of all – PC-3000 SSD support combination of Firmware (Manufacturer) and controller. It’s very important, because some manufacturers use similar controllers but different Firmware with different technological mode commands, and such drives become unsupported. For example – We completely support 88SS9174 Marwell controller, which is presented in Micron, Plextor, Sandisk and Crusial drives – they have similar FW. But at the same time, some of Lite-On drives based on the same 88SS9174 CPU are not supported, because their firmware microprogram is completely rewrite by Lite-on company. At the same time, modern families of Silicon Motion and Phison drives, have a default platform SM22xx and PS31xx which are very similar. So, if you will catch Kingston drive based on PS3109, it would be also supported, even if such Kingston model is not in support list.
- Right now all our forces are dropped on developing and adding in support list the most popular SSD drives in mSATA and SATA form-factor. Right now we have a lot of questions about M.2 and apple SSD support, but unfortunately such drives are very rare in our region, and we don’t have enough donors. If you want – you can contact with our technical support and send for us several SSD with such non-SATA interface. We will be interesting in research works.
- Even if SSD drive is not supported by PC-3000 SSD, but it has a problem with File System, with deleted information or missed files – you still can use the Data Extractor for getting access to user files! PC3000 SSD is using only for cases, when Solid State Drive has a serious problem with internal Firmware, translator tables and other logical issues!
So, here is the list of supported drives, grouped by Utilities. Current version of PC-3000 SSD software is 2.6.5 and it is a part of PC-3000 UDMA-E\Express\Portable 6.5x software.
In this article we will speak about data recovery from SSD drives based on Silicon Motion SM controllers. This types of CPU are very popular and usually they are using in a wide number of different value and low-level solid state drives.
Posted in Articles, PC-3000 SSD, Video
Tagged ACE, ACELAB, Data Recovery, PC-3000, Silicon Motion, SM, SM2246, SM2256, Techno Mode, Technological Mode
Starting from PC-3000 6.3x and PC-3000 SSD 2.4.4, it’s become possible to work with Phison-based drives.
Right now the list of supported models includes the following cpu modifications:
- Phison PS3105 (all modifications and all models);
- Phison PS3108-S8 (all modifications and all models);
- Phison PS3109-S9 (all modifications and all models);
- Phison PS3110-S10 (all modifications and all models);
- Toshiba TC58NC1000 (all modifications and all models);
- Phison PS3111-S11 (all modifications and all models);
- Kingston CP33238B (all modifications and all models);
Posted in PC-3000 SSD, Video
Tagged Data Recovery, PC-3000, PC-3000 SSD, Phison, Phison Recovery, PS3105, PS3105 Recovery, PS3108, PS3108 Recovery, PS3109, PS3109 Recovery, SSD
FileVault is a high-end disk encryption program used in Mac OS X 10.3 and later. Most of the Apple’s products that came out after 2003 use FileVault to provide users with a reliable tool to decrypt home folders and personal data. And FileVault does the job well by preventing unauthorized access to encrypted hard drives content. No data recovery specialist without the right tools and special knowledge will be able to access the data on an Apple computer.
Cases, when the encrypted hard drive is damaged to boot may present a serious challenge even to a skilled professional. In this article, we will describe an algorithm of bypassing FileVault protection and give some tips on recovering data from damaged encrypted Apple hard drives.
Below is a schematic diagram of the FileVault encryption method: